Sunday, April 8, 2018

Eric. Dad. Dark Lord.



This is Eric. The guy in the middle, I mean. In May he'll be 42. He's the best husband and dad on the planet. Hands down. Eric is a paramedic. He has mostly worked on an ambulance, but for the past 4 years he has worked full time on an oil rig. He's gone 2 weeks and home 2 weeks. We miss him when he's gone, but he works hard to provide the things we need. We're hoping that this year will be his last year working away and he'll be home for good!

Eric is a quiet guy, an introvert if you will. He's multi talented and so funny. He loves to build things like this...

and quilting things like this...

He likes to plan our vacations every year, and he loves to just kick back in bed and watch videos on youtube. He loves to cook and grill, and is amazing at it. Thank goodness because I am not. He LOVES his dogs! And his babies. And me. He truly is the best.

As for his illnesses, Eric has stage 3 Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis. NASH is nearly identical to alcoholic liver disease, causing cirrhosis and eventually liver failure in some. Eric was diagnosed about 13 years ago. He sees a hepatologist at Duke and is also in a clinical trial there.

Eric also has Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, which is a genetic connective tissue disorder. I also have this and there's more information about it on my post. Of course the two of us nit wits got married not knowing about this hot mess in the making! He knew he had it, but I did not. I also don't think he knew that it was genetic. There is a 50% chance of passing it to your children. Oops.

The last thing he struggles with is diabetes. He's on insulin and we're currently trying to find a med combo to get his sugar in the perfect range.

Through all of his illnesses, Eric is the most hard working man I've ever met. He works 2, sometimes 3 jobs to make sure the kids have access to the doctors and medicines and therapies they need. He goes to work tired, in pain, sick, and he never, not ever, complains. He loves us and we love him and I am so very thankful for the great man he is.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Courtney Day

Today I took a mom day. And by mom day I mean a Courtney day because for the majority of the day I wasn't mom at all! The antique fest...