Tuesday, August 7, 2018

We ARE Alive

Hey! It's me. It's been MONTHS. My computer was out of commission for a bit and by the time I got it back up and running I was just out of the habit of writing. But we ARE alive.  And it's August.

How is it August? I'll be 35 in 10 days, so there's that. School starts sometime at the end of the month, but I've not bothered to look because that makes it real. I am NOT ready for school. Things have been good. Really, really good. The kids are doing well because the demand on their bodies and minds is minimal during the summer. They can live their lives and sleep when they want and play video games or whatever and it's fine. Which is basically what we've been doing. We took a quick mini-trip to Great Wold Lodge and brought the kids' best friends and that was fun. I've spent a LOT of time outside. We have a tiny garden now! And I picked up my camera again. And that feels good. Otherwise it's been calm. Like we like it.

Medically things are okay. Ali is struggling with migraines, but luckily we see a new neurologist next Tuesday. We are very hopeful that we can get her some relief, and some botox. We're hoping this doctor is a good fit because Dylan's neuro has moved, so 2 birds. She's still doing really well with her infusions, and we're very thankful for that. Eric is having a liver biopsy on Wednesday (so tomorrow? it's 4:30 am) and he's very nervous because it is less than a pleasant experience. They're still working out his insulin issues, and that's frustrating. NASH makes you insulin resistant which just complicates diabetes. It's a hot mess, but it's our hot mess.

Our biggest worry is honestly school. Ali is a Freshman this year. Can you believe that? Blows my mind. We have enrolled her and met the guidance counselor and she seemed very kind and understanding. This week or next we have to go sign her up for her classes and meet the principal and basically everyone we can. The more people who know her/about her, the better. We also have to make sure they have her 504 and that her accommodations are set up. We are nervous because usually about 3 weeks into the school year their bodies begin to react to the extra demands placed on them and they crash. That's how many weeks Ali went to school last year. 3. Sigh.

This year we have made a promise to not let that happen. We are going to make it our priority to make sure she stays in school at least part time. We are so very thankful that the school system here is beyond amazing. We are hoping that she can go in a class late and just either not take an extra elective (they're required to take P.E. because it's also the health class, but not required to participate in P.E. itself) or take a language online. She's learning Korean at home, so she's thinking Mandarin. Love this kid.

Anyway, it's 5 now and I should probably sleep before the sun comes up! Man, I'm gonna miss summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Courtney Day

Today I took a mom day. And by mom day I mean a Courtney day because for the majority of the day I wasn't mom at all! The antique fest...